Hi all, just a quick post this time to let you know what's coming up. The preliminary version of 'Assisted Panning' is now in place and accessible under a new 'Experimental' section of the settings tab.
It's similar to what you saw before in a-new-exciting-feature-coming-to-comic-zeal-soon but now it works in reverse when you press the back button, manga mode is handled properly and there have been some other refinements. For example, when you're in page/zoom lock mode pressing next page doesn't pan to the right, just down, that way you never see the borders.
That last one is fantastic, in portrait you lock the page to see the top without borders. In most cases this is more than enough to read the text easily but you're missing perhaps 20% of the bottom. Then you press next page, it scrolls to show you the bottom 20%, press next page again and the page turns and shows you the top again.
When you get to a double-page spread CZ shows you the left, you press next page and it pans to show you the right.
It's a great experience that I'm sure you'll love.
The next (and last for this update!) big feature is built-in PDF support. PDFs are now treated just like CBZ/CBR files. You drag and drop them into iTunes, they're synced and you read em'. No more need for Comic Zeal Sync.
This version brings the universal and iPhone version into line with each other. I've submitted them to Apple at the same time, I don't know if they will be approved relatively close together or not.
Because of this the changes list below is split into two, changes for both versions and changes just for the iPhone version.
For both versions:
- Added an experimental 'Assisted Panning' option.
- Added PDF support, you can now use Comic Zeal to read your PDF comics and documents.
- When importing a comic from another application it is now automatically opened when the import is finished.
- Added a setting to stop the controls being shown when the screen is tapped, only tapping the semi-transparent arrow will bring them up. Option is called 'Taps for menu'. Added a setting to stop zooming when the screen is tapped, only pinching gestures will perform zooms. Option is called 'Taps to Zoom'.
- When entering a new series name the title is now automatically capitalised.
- Increased speed of thumbnail generation for faster imports.
For iPhone only (now called 'Comic Zeal Comic Reader Mini' in iTunes):
- Loading and resizing of the next page now happen in the background while you're reading the current page.
- Will now detect when you've dropped more files into iTunes file sharing, you no longer have to re-start the app.
- If manga mode is enabled and you're zoomed into the page, when the next page is displayed the top-right hand corner is shown instead of the left.
- Improved page sorting. Some people were naming double page spreads by joining the numbers eg: page 10,page1112,page13. This condition will now be picked up and corrected.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes comics would show on the 'Downloads' tab but not the 'Collections' tab.
- Fixed an issue when moving comics. Under some conditions they used to not move at all, or only into folders with similar names, or only into folders with totally different names (I know, I know) and sometimes the app would crash when starting a move. These should all be fixed now.